<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Wrassing with dinosaurs

Sunday 28 July 2013

Wrassing with dinosaurs



Atlantic swells finally gave way and allowed me out on the first Wrassing session of the year. Clear skies, roasting temperatures and blue seas - it looked stunning but the fish were a tad shy to say the least.

I have come across this little lure made by Illex - it is called the Ammonite Shad ..... a small paddle tail with quite a thick profile, it looked deadly in the watermelon/bluegill colour ..... it was simply rude not to try it out. 

Size doesn't matter - or so they say.


After what was a very slow start and not much activity I had about three follows from the same little Wrasse. I was quite convinced it wouldn't take, so the next time it followed my lure up I paused, twitched it, then whack - it hit. 




I admired its efforts to get back into the kelp but a quick photo and it was slipped back in. 

I have been in love with the Illex S 210 M Stalking Special ever since I got my hands on it ..... light weight yet powerful and great tip sensitivity ..... still early days for a proper review but loving it more and more by the day.




Lurking in the shallows


Every time I go after Wrasse the places we pull them out from never cease to amaze me. Forget the old beliefs of deep water - we hit this fish in about 4 feet!




Again the Ammonite Shad proved irresistible to this Wrasse - fished on a Texas rig with a 3.5g head, glass bead and a size 2 wide-gape hook. 

The lure was cast out onto an overhanging shelf - no sooner had it hit the water when the Wrasse came up from under the ledge and started to smash into it. Three or four smacks later and it was hooked.

So many places and not enough time




We have often looked down at this place but never taken the plunge to go and give a good try. I am 100% positive that no one has ever wet a line here and it looks unbelievably fishy - maybe we will get there before the summer is out.

Tight lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home