<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Another Welsh adventure - June 2012

Monday 1 July 2013

Another Welsh adventure - June 2012



If you have been reading my blog you will know that last season I spent two weeks over in Wales with my good friend Matt Powell This year I decided to spend a little longer with him exploring the coastline, having a catch up and of course catching some fish along the way.

The weather this year (although still behind) is much better than last - at least we managed to get out most days for a cast.




Put in the hours and the rewards will come!

 

There simply is no substitute for putting in the time on the rocks. Yes, some of us are lucky enough to go down for an hour or two and catch a fish but let's be honest most of us have to put in the long hours to reap the reward.




Early starts, late nights and long sessions certainly start to wear you down but when you look back at it all you wouldn't change a thing.

We have had some cracking fish over the past few weeks. At the start we hit schoolies but the average stamp of fish steadily improved resulting in some rather plump bass in the last two weeks.



The power of the Illex Ishad? 


All my bass except one fell to the Illex Ishad, 5.8 inch in White. I will admit now that this was pretty much the only soft plastic I used therefore I guess it clouds the judgement somewhat. I guess if you only use one lure then statistically that is what you will catch on but my confidence with this lure has steadily increased as time has gone by.

 

Fished weightless or with a little added weight to keep it down in the surf it just looks deadly.




Matt has been using the Sluggo to great effect, in fact over 90% of the bass we caught all came on soft plastics - there is no getting away from how deadly these lures can be especially when there is a lot of weed present which prevents the use of hard plugs.




New friends

Whilst I was staying Matt had a visit from the lads at Tulala, a Japanese rod manufacturer. I must admit at first I knew little about their business but after a little research I was really impressed with their work and excited to meet them.

http://tulalajp.com/ 


We spent a full weekend together - trading fishing stories, having a few casts together and just generally having a good time. I was stunned at the quality of their 7ft 2 Glissando rod which we have both been using to land some tidy fish over the past two weeks. A very sensitive yet powerful rod which I think would be ideal for soft plastic use in the UK and Ireland.

All good things come to an end

 

 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Wales, I have met some great people, shared some great fishing with my friend and had some experiences which I will never forget.

I fly back in the next few days but it certainly will not be the last time I am back over ..... We will see what the future holds on that front.

I will take the opportunity now to thank Matt for the hospitality and just general kindness over the past few weeks.

If you haven't already have a look at his website and see his work for yourself.

http://www.fishingandforagingwales.co.uk/ 


The Irish Bass Festiaval

Now onto another huge event in my calendar for this year - The Irish Bass Festival started last year and was a cracking event run by the lads at Absolute Fishing in Tramore, Co.Waterford.

The event saw anglers from all over come, fish, have a laugh and share their fishy experiences.

I am sure this year it will be even better! I know there are some top anglers and sponsors around over the weekend and all the info is on the webiste.

http://absolutefishingireland.blogspot.co.uk/p/irish-bass-festival.html

If you are free, pop down to the shop and see what it is all about - should be another great event. Look forward to seeing you there.

Tight lines,

Steve.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home