<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Bank holiday adventures

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Bank holiday adventures



Over the past few weeks we have witnessed a small but marked improvement in the weather, however, it is the strength of the winds battering the west coast that are driving me mad! Nearly every weekend since the start of January it has been blowing 20 mph Souths or Easts and although it doesn't make things unfishable, it certainly doesn't make casting into it the easiest!

Anyway - we got out for a few casts over the weekend and managed a total of 12 Sea Trout with the biggest just over the 2lb mark. All taking the usual suspects - Abu krills, Megabass X Bubble, Savage Gear Seekers and Hansens.

My new yellow stick




I got myself a new toy to play with - an Illex Element Rider 210m Stalking Special (5-21g). I am not going to do a full rod review now because obviously it is early days yet but on first impressions it is a serious piece of kit. A lovely blank, well finished and a gem to fish with. 

Once I have put it through its paces with some bass, wrasse and pollack, I will be sure to get a review up so keep your eyes posted later on in the season for that. 

Just wish this wind would drop and the water temperatures rise just a little more - not too much to ask is it?

Until then - tight lines.

5 Comments:

At 28 May 2013 at 23:04 , Blogger Mayfly said...

thats a serious piece of kit there Neely,,was pondering just recently on purchasing the 220m, (sticking point is keeping the cost secret from my better half ), a shore pollack in a depth of water will surely give it its paces never mind a shallow water 5-6lb bass,,,I myself am a dedicated bass angler and fish all along the south coast (east Cork Mainly).enjoyed your aricle and very envious of the fact you can catch sea trout in salt water...I also have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bass-fishing-Ireland/176339742427174 tight lines,, John

 
At 29 May 2013 at 05:25 , Blogger Steven Neely said...

Hi John.

Thanks for the comment. First impressions are fantastic but still too early to tell but I can imagine that it will certainly live up to expectations. Granted it is a little shorter and lighter than my preferred Bass stick the Graphite Leader Argento RV but it seems a great job for light soft plastic work etc. Also imagine it will be a deadly Wrassing rod! Time will tell.

I will check the page out on Facebook and drop you and add later on today. Must get a chat, never been over as far as Cork all my exploits are in Wexford and Waterford for Bass.

As for the Sea Trout I am fortunate enough to have some good spots to try. Average size are smaller up on the West / NW coast but still some hidden secrets yet to be tried.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy.

Tight lines.

Steve.

 
At 29 May 2013 at 22:58 , Blogger Mayfly said...

Steven,
well if you are intent on planning a trip give me a hollar and should be able to direct you to the likely spots, (more than likely spots to be precise),, I agree with your sentiments on the wrasse, but in my experience I prefer a bit more stiffness in the rod (intermediate), I have had many many instances where wrasse and pollack have got their head down and thats that.,I was also looking at another rod, the abu rocksweeper Nano (8ft 10-40grms), looks more appealing to my requirements, still able to handle those small 5-10gm lures, but can be used for free lining crab/livebait etc, probably will go with this given the fact that my current piece of kit is slightly heavier and can cast my 5grm lures just where I want them to be,anyway if I want to go any lighter I was seriously considering using my Scierra blue water 10wt fly rod with a very small fixed spool reel..now to me thats sounds challenging.....Tight Lines

John

 
At 31 May 2013 at 03:19 , Blogger Steven Neely said...

Yeah, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to fishing rods but in the end of the day it is all down to having fun and enjoying it.

I will give you a shout sometime and maybe catch up and wet a line.

Steve.

 
At 2 June 2013 at 03:06 , Blogger Mayfly said...

No Prob,,,anytime....Tight Lines

John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home