<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Jika Rig and crash diving pollack.

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Jika Rig and crash diving pollack.



I had heard about the Jika rig before in an LRF context but something I had never really given much thought or consideration to for my own fishing.

I was reading a blog belonging to a friend of mine (Lee Goddard) and he was talking about using the Jika rig for heavier soft plastic work and it got me thinking.

Check out the post here:

http://lure-and-light-game.blogspot.co.uk/


As usual I was faced with huge Atlantic swells and big angry seas ..... I was fed up sitting in the house so I decided to change tactics, upscale the gear and go target a few Wrasse. 

We arrived at the mark and it was brutal - choppy, big swell and a stiff onshore wind. I knew the deep gully held Wrasse as we used to fish it when I was a kid with a float. 

I used a 20g bomb lead and my chosen purple 4inch soft plastic. I cast out to the other side of the gully, let the lure sink until I touched bottom and let it sit for a few seconds. Thump! I lifted the rod gently and let it drop back down again. Thump! I repeated the process and as the weight hit the bottom the rod slammed over and I was into a nice Wrasse. 

It was a nightmare trying to land it in such rough conditions but we managed to get it in, photograph it and release it - despite getting soaked in the process!




It was a great chance to try out a new piece of kit - an Illex Element Rider 240 MH V2, 8-45g. Whilst on the heavy side of things, it allowed me to hold up in the rougher water and yet still feel what was happening at the business end. A strong, sensitive rod which will be unleashed when the weather decided to throw me a curve ball. 




Carbon copy pollack


We eventually got pushed off the rocks with the rough weather and moved back into a quiet, sheltered spot. Not renowned for big fish but it always produces pollack and scaling down the gear provided us with some great sport. It didn't disappoint - we had hits and hook ups on nearly every cast, each fish identical to the last.




We used a mixture of small soft plastics and 90mm Fiiish Black Minnows. 




A nice way to end the day and boost the confidence levels. 

On the way home we stopped by a mark to see it over low tide and much to our surprise found this sun fish washed up - First time I have ever seen one in person and they are stunning looking creatures, just a shame this one didn't make it. 




Stay tuned. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home