<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Weekend in the Wild West!

Thursday 6 September 2012

Weekend in the Wild West!

I had arranged for my new angling buddy Jonny Dawson to come over and join me for a few days lure fishing on the West coast. As always the weather was looking a bit dodgy but I was confident that if we got some settled patches we could at least get out and wet a line somewhere.

I set off in search of Sea Trout whilst waiting on the call from Jonny to say he had arrived. The weather was grim but we managed 7 before he turned up. Later that evening we took a quick run for Salmon. I produced a fresh bar of silver around the 5lb mark.

The next day was looking promising. Clear skies, no rain and a nice calm wind.

A quick blast for Sea Trout ensured Jonny landed his first fish of the trip.





I took him to a mark I had fished a week prior for wrasse. After a bit of a complicated drive and a good walk out we arrived at the mark. Boulders, weed and current - it was a wrasse paradise.

Jonny was first to hook into a fish. It was nice to see the Graphiteleader with a bend on it and up came the first fish of the day.




It nailed the green paddletail lure.




We fished on the same spot for a while. I lost a good Pollack that took me under a ledge and ripped my braid to shreds. After a quick re-set up I was back in the water and soon had the first Wrasse of the trip landed.



At this stage it was all trial and error with lure colour, size and shape. I stuck on a lure I had been given a few months back by my mate Jay La Roche. Cast it out and let it hit the bottom. Before I could even twitch the lure it was engulfed by a Pollack. It took off like a train leaving both of us thinking I had hooked a brute. It was no monster but a solid fish weighing 3.7lb.



The purple / green lure - always great when it was a freebie!




We eventually decided to give that spot a rest and moved on. Packed up the gear and went for an explore. Looking down from above we spotted a lovely little set of ledges and scrambled down to the new ground.

It wasn't long before the fish started coming.




I began to nail some wrasse on a small motor oil paddle tail grub.




And another ....




I eventually decided to be a good host / guide and give Jonny one of my prized lures and BANG! He got his first Wrasse of the session.




A great fighter and the first of many more.




Then Jonny began thrashing me by landing Pollack faster than I could set up my other little 2 - 8g rod. He was on fire.




I then started to claw back the numbers using the little 6ft, 2-8g rod for sport. The fish all averaged around the same as above but by the end of the day we had lost count over 30.

As the light dropped we expected the bigger Pollack to come on the feed but sadly it never happened and this Wrasse was the last fish to be taken of the session.




We didn't get back until late and thoughts soon turned to the next day and what it would bring for us. Thankfully when we got up the weather was still not bad but a fierce South wind was ripping in. We had a quick blast at the Sea Trout landing 5 between us and then I took Jonny off to catch some Mackerel on surface lures.

As before the Lucky Craft Sammy and Megabass Cutter produced the goods. Amazing sport and just great craic - we were like kids standing watching the fish feed and sight casting to them. Then the real fun begins, working the lure and watching them chase it in the shallows and working it right to your feet before the Mackerel smashed the lures. Numerous times we had not only double hook ups but even had two fish on each lure, engulfing the double size 2 barb-less single hooks.





I had the 6ft, 2-8g rod out again for some sport - Nuts.

After a while we decided to get the video camera out and catch at least one take on camera . . .




Excuse the sound, the wind was howling the whole time and we both got a tad over excited!!

It was a fantastic trip and whilst it was slightly later in the year we still had great sport. 

Stay tuned as we are both heading off for some Bass fishing with the lures next weekend . . . Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home