<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://rookiebassangler.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Rookie Bass Angler: Annoyance at recent magazine article!!!

Monday 16 January 2012

Annoyance at recent magazine article!!!

I know I am by no means an expert but I was quite concerned at one article i read today by one of the Uk's bass 'experts' - I don't think it is right for me to name this person but if you contact me, i'm sure we can have a chat about it. . . . Perhaps others feel the same?

Anyway the article was in a very well known sea fishing magazine ..... I subscribe, I read, I digest, and I hope it makes me a better fisherman. . . .

Anyway the article was about 'Massive Bass....'

It was the little article at the bottom of the page which angered me ...... In brief the discussion was about how large Bass of 17+ lb are coming to the end of their lives and although they can still produce eggs their breeding life is coming to a close. . . . this next line is what really boiled my blood - 'So keeping them as a trophy fish is not such a problem.'


I am sorry, but correct me if I am wrong here, this is a leading UK Bass 'expert' writing in a hugely popular magazine, that it is ok to kill and keep Bass of this size ......

I think this is madness, a fish that size deserves to go back and fight another day ..... It has survived this long and, are 'we' as anglers really that shallow that we need to kill a fish to have it as a 'trophy'??!!!!! I would hope not! What is wrong with a few good pictures and setting it back to swim off ...?

If you are anything like me and I know a few others will agree, you get a good buzz watching the fish swim off than battering it in the head!

I just thought this was irresponsible to publish such a thing, fair enough there are decent people out there who use their own judgement about if a fish is healthy enough to be put back but there are some out there who do not know any better and to me this article does very little to educate the public....

With Bass stocks in certain areas being low, then I think we should be doing more to make the public aware of their preciousness and value to the angler, not to promote a trophy hunting mentality!

It made me angry and I just could not help but write about it....

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Steve N

7 Comments:

At 16 January 2012 at 08:12 , Blogger Unknown said...

Bloody well said mate, to me the best trophy i can take away is a good photo and the memory. Watching any fish swim away from a pouting through to a big bass or salmon / trout is a prize worth savouring.

 
At 16 January 2012 at 09:34 , Blogger Jay La Roche said...

Well said mate I fully agree with you as Mike said there's a certain something watching any fish swimming away instead of killing the fish , now I don't have a problem with someone keeping a fish for the table but a fish of that size I in on way agree with killing it has lived so long so why not let it live for another angler to catch and get the pleasure of seeing a fish this size

 
At 17 January 2012 at 06:31 , Blogger Steven Neely said...

Cheers lads for the responses

 
At 17 January 2012 at 18:21 , Blogger 闇の息子 said...

i do practice catch and eat. but large sized fish i throw back for several reasons. 1. they dont taste good. its like this with any meat. veal taste much better than a 15 year old bull. 2. taking large fish away from the gene pool reduces subsequent fish sizes years down the line. 3. you create a shift in the area in the food chain. which can sometimes drive a whole species away. 4. just cause you beat a worthy opponent once doesnt mean that you will again. why not try to beat it again in the future?

 
At 29 July 2012 at 13:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more mate and apologies I'm only getting to read some of your posts now but I have a few points to add to this one...albeit a tad late!

From a biological perspective big bass are often apex predators in their own rights, top of the food chain within their own species and are the prime genetic brood stock - i.e. they have survived thus far and therefore hold bloody good genes! They also, and its been proven in other species such as trout, often carry the strongest egg survival rate of their species so often contribute heavily to future recruitment. So yeah whoever wrote that article really hasn't researched to much beforehand! Removing big bass removes the best possible genes for reproduction AND the best possible chance for successful reproduction - really bad idea!!

 
At 4 November 2013 at 11:01 , Anonymous Dave said...

I'm not against taking the odd bass for the table but not something this size. 2 - 4 pounds seems a nice window. Agree a couple of photos for the memory and slip her back to make another angler happy.

 
At 4 November 2013 at 15:07 , Blogger Steven Neely said...

Everybody has their own views and I respect them but when I read that article I just thought - what a waste! Cheers for the comments - good to see some interest in an old post but one which I felt passionate about and still do!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home